Thursday, April 30, 2020

New Challenge with Southern Girls Challenge!



Hello everyone!  There's a new challenge over on the Southern Girls

Today I'm featuring a stamp set from


I watercolored this card so hopefully my tutorial will make sense!  To start I
placed a piece of 5" x 7" hot press watercolor paper into my MISTI.  I had
previously made masks for all the images I thought I would be using.  I placed
and stamped my first image in Ranger Antique Linen Distress Ink.  This was
the biggest flower in the set and I wanted it to really stand out.  I placed the
mask over it and stamped in more images, masking where needed.


When I was done my panel looked like this:


I started painting my leaves first.  I used a mix of Sap Green with a touch of Olive Green
and then darkened that mix with Payne's Grey to shade.  On the cooler leaves toward
the bottom, I added in some French Ultramarine Blue to the Sap Green and then 
added Payne's Grey to shade.  I wet the entire leaf first and then just dropped in color
with the tip of my brush and gently moved it around.  On some of the upper leaves
I added Yellow Ochre to the tips.


When all of the leaves were dry I glazed parts of the leaves with a thin wash of
Alizarin Crimson.
Next I moved onto the flowers.  I followed the same procedure: I wet a petal
then added color.  Since this is hot press paper, I didn't add a lot of water initially.
Hot press paper is not made to handle lots of water.  But there was enough there so
the paint could move.


For the pink flower I used Permanent Rose shaded with Alizarin Crimson and
glazed (when it was dry) with Opera Rose.  For the yellow rose I used New
Gamboge and Lemon Yellow mixed together shaded with Yellow Ochre.  I also
used that same yellow mix on the centers of the upper small flowers.


For the coral rose I mixed Opera Rose and Winsor Orange together.  The made a
lovely coral color.  I added a bit of Quinacridone Red to the mix for shading.
For the tiny flowers at the top I mixed French Ultramarine and Quinacridone Purple
together and shaded the outer edges instead of the inner edges.  When everything
was dry I made a mix of Heirloom gold Perfect Pearls with some water - thin enough
so I could paint with it.  I basically went along the accent lines that were on the
stamps already and the veins in the leaves.  I also did the centers of the
smaller flowers.  Then with what I had left over I splattered the entire piece.
I decided not to put a sentiment on the card - I may at some point when I use the
card but for now it's blank.  
I trimmed my painted piece to 4 1/2" x 6".  And the gold piece underneath
was just 1/4" bigger all the way around.  My card size was 5" x 6 1/2".


I hope you enjoyed the tutorial today!  Watercolor is best learned by practicing!
Stamps are such an excellent way to do that!

Please join us over at the Southern Girls Challenge Blog with your creation!
It's always anything goes!  And there are great prizes for the winners!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Betsy

In my capacity as a design team member for Southern Girls Challenge, I do receive the stamps I use from them. 
All opinions and creative decisions remain my own, and I only work with companies/use products that I love.




2 comments:

  1. Stunning make and love that you added all the steps. Thank you so much Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aileen! Hope this has given you inspiration!

      Delete