Friday, June 4, 2021

Butterfly Garden with Brutus Monroe

 


Hello everyone!  Today I'm bringing you this beautiful spring card
that I watercolored using:


This is such a gorgeous stamp and I couldn't wait to watercolor it!
It's also very large!  So, using watercolor paper I stamped the image
using Antique Linen Distress Ink.  I laid my stamp down onto my
glass mat and laid the paper on top of it.  I don't own a Memory
MISTI so laying it flat was the only option.  However, I would
only get one chance to stamp it.  I took my time inking the stamp 
and really rubbed on the paper to get the ink to transfer.


It's light but it's all there.  I started my watercoloring with painting all
the leaves in a very watered down green.  I used Karin Markers for this.
By doing this I identified all of the leaves.


I painted all of the leaves the same.  I altered the color of some of them
when they were dry by glazing them with pale Copic colors (Y00, R00, E00, YR02, B41).  
My colors for the leaves were Lime, Olive Green and Olive Black.


The Lime is very yellow, so when I used it, I watered it down - a lot!
I built my shadows and I tried to complete each leaf except for the last bit of
darkest shading, all in one go.


I scribbled ink onto my glass mat and picked it up with a damp paintbrush.  
To get the very dark green I went directly onto the paper with the marker,
making sure my paper was wet so the marker didn't create harsh lines.  I
used this method for everything.  After the leaves were done I moved onto
the big flowers.  I used Skin, Rose Pink, Burgundy and touches of Copper Brown.


I went carefully petal by petal, trying to be mindful to keep the
top edges light or completely white.


I moved along carefully and sometimes added more direct dark
to the centers and sometimes taking some away.


The berries on top I painted with Egyptian Blue.  I watered it down, then
shaded with the same color and finally went in with marker to paper.
The yellow berries I used Pale Orange, Gold and Ochre, using the
Copper Brown for the little bits on top and the branches.


The tall spikey flowers I used a mix of colors and my final result
was a rather soft violet color.  I painted the butterflies using colors
I had already used somewhere else.  This gives the piece continuity.
I also used Black and Neutral Gray on the wings.  When the painting was 
finished and dry I heavily splattered with white gouache and pearl shimmer mist.  I 
also used a shimmerpen on the butterfly wings.  I used Lunch Bag card stock for my
base and foam taped my panel onto the base.  And that finished my card!


I hope I've inspired you today to watercolor with your water-based
markers and to create something beautiful!  You can find this
stunning stamp and the card stock at:


Thank you so much for stopping by today!  I appreciate
you spending your time with me!

Betsy

In my capacity as a design team member for Brutus Monroe, I do receive the products I use from them. 

All opinions and creative decisions remain my own, and I only work with companies/use products that I love.




















8 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Thank you for such clear instructions. I love watercolor but struggle with it.
    I'm getting my Karin markers out and giving it more practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie! Make sure you are working with your paper wet - not dripping, but definitely wet. The markers tend to produce hard lines quite easily but working wet into wet eliminates that! And I do work one petal at a time...or one area at a time.

      Delete
  2. Wowsers super gorgeousness
    Thank you for sharing how you created this, you are super talented

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your instructions and am going to order and try, one amazing card

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aileen! If you have any questions DM me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need to see a video on this! Just got the stamp from Scrapbook.com and I'm ready to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do videos Jen - sorry! But feel free to contact me if you run into problems coloring this and I'll be glad to help! It's a huge gorgeous stamp, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Perfect Peony with Polkadoodles

  Hello everyone!  Today I'm bringing you more Spring goodness with this gorgeous digital stamp set from Polkadoodles Perfect Peony Digi...