Saturday, August 15, 2020

Magnolia Background with Rachel Vass Designs

Hello everyone!  I hope everyone's summer is going well.  We've had
a heat wave in my neck of the woods.  Temps in the 90's for 3 days! 
It's New Release Day at




This is a really versatile stamp set!  Several of the Design Team Members
have made slimline cards using it!  I chose to create an A2 size card.

To begin, I wanted to be able to watercolor my card, so I used a piece
of 6" x 9" Bee Watercolor paper.  I taped it to a regular size sheet of copy
paper using washi tape and send it through my printer.  Next I cut it
down a bit and then I colored the background with a black alcohol marker.


Watercolor paper accepts alcohol ink very well.  However, it will bleed if
you don't keep the marker moving.  I outlined fussy places first and then filled
in the bigger spaces.


I looked on Google for color inspiration of my magnolias.  The photo I was
using had magnolias that had almost a waxy look to the petals with the pink at
the base.  First I painted the stems and leaves.  For the stems I used a darker
brown mixed with a bit of black.  The leaves were a warm green.


To make the petals of the flowers have that waxy look to them, I used a color
by Turner called "Clove".  This is a very light tan (has lots of white in it) and I
used a very pale wash on the flower petals.


It muted the whiteness of the paper.  I next added the pink at the base of each
petal.  I used Quin Pink and then added a brown pink.  I used a Daniel Smith
color called Piemontite.  It's very similar to Caput Mortum.  It took the brightness
out of the pink and gave it a richer color.


I painted each petal separately.  It took a while, but I loved the result!
I printed out the sentiment onto Neenah 80lb Classic Crest Solar White
card stock and cut it down leaving a narrow white edge.  I colored that
edge with RV000 and R81 Copic markers.  
I mounted my card onto an A2 size card base that was covered with a
pale pink embossed card stock.  I cut my watercolored panel to
3 3/4" x 5" and went around the edge with a black marker and then adhered
it to the card base.  I adhered my sentiment with foam tape and added a 
few pink gems.  And that finished my project!


I hope you enjoyed this New Release from


There are many other great designs as well in her shop!

Please look for me on Wednesday for another
New Release!

Thank you for stopping by!

Betsy

In my capacity as a design team member for Rachel Vass Designs, I do receive the products I use from them. 
All opinions and creative decisions remain my own, and I only work with companies/use products that I love.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Tropical Blooms with Kate Hadfield Designs

  Hello everyone!  I can't believe it's almost May already!  Because things are starting to grow and blossom, I'm bringing you m...