Monday, March 2, 2020

Even a Small Star...




Hello Quietfire fans!  Today I'm sharing with you this galaxy card
featuring:


I cut the main watercolored panel to 3 1/4' x 4 1/2".  I covered an A2 size white top folding
card base with black glitter paper.  Next I heat embossed the sentiment
using the Gothic Black Modern Gilding Powders.


I centered the sentiment in the lightest part of the panel.  In the upper left corner
I lifted off paint using a small liner brush and water.  
I adhered the panel onto the base using very strong double sided tape.  I placed a
star embellishment over this area. 

Watercolor Panel:

I had painted the original panel quite some time ago.  I re-created it for this tutorial.  There
were several things I did on the older panel that I wish I had done on the new panel.  I used hot press 
paper for the older one and cold pressed for the new one.  I like the results using the hot press
paper better.  I also taped down the older one when I painted it.  This makes it so much
easier to paint.  


I first put a layer of water all over my paper (you can see how much it buckled!).  Then I began dropping in paint keeping the edges very dark and making sure to leave the middle light.  I kept
adding layers of paint to this to get it darker and more saturated.



I also splattered on color, but made sure to not to over work the middle area.  I felt the lighter 
area was not centered well, but I was able to work around this by later trimming it down.
The panel has to be completely dry before it's cut to size.  It helps if it's flat as well.


I splattered it with white gouache and stamped my sentiment.  I did not use
anti-static powder - for several reasons.  1) watercolor paper is textured - even hot press -
so the risk of not being able to get all of the powder off was there, and 2) I was
ok with getting stray embossing powder on the panel - it really seemed as if it
was part of the design.

Watercolor used:
Neutral Tint (I rarely use Black - this was my alternative)
French Ultramarine
Quinacridone Magenta
Pthalo Turquoise (this is transparent as opposed to a Cobalt color)

This palette seemed to work well.  You could also add more colors or use
colors that were totally different - like reds or yellows.


Quietfire Products Used:


Other Products Used:
Hot Press Watercolor paper
Watercolor Paint
Start Sequin
Glitter paper
A2 size top folding white card base
Double sided tape


Thank you so much for stopping by!  I appreciate your support!
Betsy

In my capacity as a design team member for Quietfire Design, I do receive the products I use from them. All opinions and creative decisions remain my own, and I only work with companies/use products that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment