Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Sunflower Watercolor Card with Brutus Monroe

 


Hello everyone!  With a few short weeks of summer left it's almost
time for fall!  So, today I'm sharing an early fall card with products from:


I absolutely love pre-printed watercolor cards.  They are quick, easy
and there are so many options!  This set of 4 different fall designs is
fabulous!  Let me show you how I made my card.
I chose the sunflower panel - my favorite one of the 4.  I used my
Aqua Pigments to paint with.


I started out painting my sunflower yellow.  This is known as
"local color".  When you think of a sunflower you immediately think
it's yellow, when, in fact, it's many colors.  I ended up using
4 colors on this flower.


Liquid watercolor is quite different than traditional watercolor.  I
found that I could mix colors on my glass mat, but they didn't layer
particularly well when they were wet.  They layered better when
they were dry.


I used Amber, Penny, Cherry and Shimmering Gingerbread.  I
made a mix of the Cherry and Amber on my glass mat.  It made
a lovely shade of orange.  I didn't use the reds in the center, and
added a touch of Lime underneath Shimmering Gingerbread to
give things a neutral brown tone.  Next I moved on to the
leaves and stem.


I really layered on color with the leaves.  Leaves are amongst my
favorite things to watercolor!  I used:  Lime, Delphinium, Amber,
Penny and Shimmering Gingerbread.  The underneath of sunflower
leaves have a very blue tint to them.  I love that variation and
contrast.


Once I finished my painting and everything was dry, I trimmed the edges so
the final measurement for the panel was 3 1/4" x 5 1/2".  I mounted that
onto a top folding A2 size white card base that I had covered with 
orange plaid paper.  To give the edges of the panel a little definition, I
used dark brown and shimmery green peel-offs along the edges.  I
decided against a sentiment and any embellishments.  The Aqua 
Pigments, when dry, are extremely shimmery!


I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial.  I love painting on these cards!
Find the cards and the Aqua Pigments at:


Thanks so much for stopping by!  I appreciate your interest and
your time spent here!  I hope I've inspired you to create 
something beautiful!

Betsy

In my capacity as a design team member for Brutus Monroe, I do receive the products I use from them.

 All opinions and creative decisions remain my own, and I only work with companies/use products that I love.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Tropical Blooms with Kate Hadfield Designs

  Hello everyone!  I can't believe it's almost May already!  Because things are starting to grow and blossom, I'm bringing you m...