Sunday, February 4, 2018

Swimming Along!

Hi Everyone,

On the blog today I will be showing you a method that Tim Holtz introduced at Creativation 2018 using Distress Oxide inks and micro glaze.  When I watched him do that I knew I needed to try it!!!



The supplies I used:

Distress Oxide Inks: Faded Jeans, Salty Ocean, Cracked Pistashio, Peacock Feathers and Broken China
Micro Glaze:  I used Judi-Kins (Ranger has one as well)
Ranger Alcohol Ink glossy cardstock
Heat Tool
Ink blending tool
Jilly Bean Soup "Whale Done!" Stamp and Die set by Hampton Art
Versafine Onyx Black Ink
Zig Clean Color Real brush markers: #091 Light Gray, #302 Haze Blue, #028 Pale Pink, #092 Blue Gray, #033 Persian Green
Waterbrush
Die Cutting machine
Scissors
Plain White cardstock for sentiment
Foam Tape
Clear Dew Drops
Ranger Glossy Accents
Regular adhesive (wet or tape runner)
Aqua card base
Sea life stickers

The first thing I did was prepare the glossy cardstock panel by ink smooshing with my Distress Oxides.  I did this by using 2 colors at a time and drying in-between each layer.


I did 8 layers of color before I felt I had enough on the paper.  It's important that you use the Ranger Glossy paper as this has a clay base, unlike other glossy papers, and allows the inks to oxidize. So by the time I was finished with the ink and it was dry on top it looked like this:


Note how cloudy and undefined it looks - that's the way we want it!  At this point I didn't feel it wasn't completely dry so I put it in my art journal and laid my lap top over top of it...this gives weight and a little bit of heat, as my computer is warm underneath.  When I felt it was completely dry I took my ink blending tool and applied the micro glaze onto the foam pad (a little goes a long way) and started blending.  It gently starts to reveal what's underneath and all those gorgeous layers you applied earlier!  I then gently buffed it with a facial tissue and here's the result:


It came out so pretty!!!!!  Next I went on to the elements of the card stamping and coloring the whale.  I first used the #091 Light Gray avoiding his face area as much as I could.  I added more color around the edges.  I added the #092 Blue Gray next blending it with the Light Gray, once again avoiding his face.  Next came his cheeks with the #028 Pale Pink blended out with the water brush.   I deepened the shading with #033 Persian Green.  This is a very intense color so I scribbled some of this onto an acrylic block and picked up the color with my water brush.  I still pretty much stuck to the edges.  I used #302 Haze Blue to blend any places that needed it.  This is a very pale color so it works well.  I die cut the whale and some of the bubbles (colored with #302 Haze Blue - which I ended up not using).


I stamped the sentiment and decided to cut it freehand to sort of mimic a jelly fish.  I used some of the #302 Haze Blue and a little of the #033 Persian Green to tint this so it wouldn't be stark white.  I adhered the whale with foam tape and the sentiment with a liquid glue, then added the stickers.  I also added dots of Glossy Accents and adhered clear dew drops with Glossy Accents to resemble bubbles.  I then glued this panel to my card base.  And that finished my card!



I was pleasantly surprised to find that my whale looked like a Beluga whale!  He's so cute!  You could add other die cuts or other stickers or another sentiment for your whale card.

Thanks for stopping by - Happy Papercrafting
...and remember...it's only paper!!!!!!!

Betsy

If there are other techniques that you would like to see here please let me know by leaving a comment
here. 💖

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Ladybug with Polkadoodles