Saturday, July 28, 2018

Bleaching Technique ft. Gina K. Designs


Hello Everyone!

I hope you've all had a wonderful week of summer!  I have watched a few videos by Gina K. hilighting the bleaching technique.  I was really intrigued at how the bleach altered the color of the paper.  I work at a Graphics company that produces quality silk-screened t-shirts and I know that a green shirt does not always start out white before it's dyed...it's actually yellow!  So I did some experimenting of my own using this technique.

Here's what I used for supplies:

  • Gina K. Designs Sentimental Summer Stamp Set and dies
  • Gina K. Designs Luxury weight Navy card stock
  • Gina K. Designs Fine Detail Silver Embossing Powder
  • Bleach
  • Paintbrush
  • Nuvo Crystal Drops - Liquid Mercury
  • Banner die
  • Spectrum Noir Clear Shimmer Pen
  • Foam tape
  • Glue
  • Embellishments
  • Stamp Positioning Tool
  • Heat tool
  • Clear embossing ink
  • Anti-static powder tool
  • Paper Trimmer
  • A2 size white card base
  • Coordinating background paper
  • Silver leaf ribbon or silver leaf sequins


I started by stamping my images on Navy card stock in my stamp positioning tool and then heat embossed with Gina's Fine Detail Silver embossing  powder.  This is my absolute favorite silver embossing powder and I don't use any other brand.  


I then cut out my images using the coordinating dies.  These could easily be fussy cut out as well.  Next I started painting with my bleach.  I poured my new bleach into a smaller container with a tight lid.  Gina recommends using new bleach as opposed to bleach that's been sitting around for a number of months.  I used a fairly good paintbrush.  It's a white one.  When I use it to paint with it gets stained.  When I use this bleach method it gets white again!  It was a 0 round.  The bleach soaks into the paper right away and does not seem to bother the embossing at all.  I waited for it to dry a little bit before deciding to paint another coat on.  I did not bleach the leaves.  The navy card stock bleaches out to a nice shade of lavender!  When these were completely dry I painted on a coat of clear shimmer pen to give it a bit of sparkle. 

I layered first the navy card stock on my white card base.  Then cut the patterned paper to a slightly smaller size.  I die cut a stitched banner out of the navy and heat embossed with the silver a sentiment from the stamp set.  I glued this banner on first.  Then I popped up my flowers with foam tape and then tucked the leaves in just gluing the bases.  Next I added the silver leaves to my piece just to fill out some spaces.  I though they added a nice bit of shine.  Lastly I put on the Nuvo Crystal Drops and that finished my card!


I was pleased with how this came out and the lovely color of what's underneath the navy dye on the paper.

Thank you Gina K. Designs for such great inspiration!

Until next week...happy paper crafting!
      ....and remember, it's only paper!

Betsy







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tea Party with Kate Hadfield Designs

  Hello everyone!  It's time for a tea party and I'm using products from Kate Hadfield Designs Tea Party Digital Stamps This was so ...