Sunday, March 4, 2018

Friends do make everything better!




Good Afternoon Everyone!

Today I'll be sharing with you how I made this lovely friendship card using Derwent Intense Watercolor Pencils.  The intensity of their color is amazing!  So let's get started.

The supplies I used:

  • Altenew "Just Because" stamp set
  • Technique Tuesday "Carnation Friends" stamp set (for the sentiment)
  • Versafine Onyx Black Pigment ink
  • Stamp positioning tool (I used my MISTI)
  • 3.5" x 5" piece of Hot Press watercolor paper (I used Strathmore that comes in a 5 x 7 pack)
  • Paintbrushes - #2 & #4
  • Scissors suitable for fussy cutting
  • Foam tape
  • Regular adhesive that you use
  • Pale Gray A2 size card base
  • Scrap of striped paper
  • Decorative edge cutting die
  • Die cutting machine
  • Wink of Stella - clear
  • NUVO Jewel Drops - ale Periwinkle
  • Derwent Inktense Pencils: #1550 Spring Green, #1560 Fern, #1310 Iron Green, #1600 Leaf Green, #1400 Apple Green, #0900 Iris Blue, #1000 Bright Blue, #0720 Thistle, #0800 Violet, #0760 Deep Violet and #0230 Golden Yellow

I first stamped the image onto the watercolor paper which was a half sheet of 5" x 7".  I used my MISTI to do this as I wanted to make sure I got a good, clean, crisp image.  I let the ink dry for a bit as watercolor paper is made of cotton and tends to hold moisture longer than regular paper.  Once I was sure it was dry I started laying in my color.  I had a spare piece of cardstock handy to test out my color blends before I put pencil to the paper...I didn't want any unpleasant color surprises!!!

I wanted to paint the green first so I started coloring in all the background foliage with the different greens, except for the #1310 Iron Green which I used at the end.  I laid the lightest colors on the tips of the leaves and deepened the color as I got to the base of them.  I colored all of the leaves before I used any water.  With my #2 brush I painted a thin layer of water over the tiny leaves and used the #4 brush on the bigger ones.  I didn't use my water brush for this because you can't control the water quite as easily as you can with a regular paint brush.  When that was dried, I then went over some of the bases with the #1310 Iron Green.  This is a bluer green and brightened up all the leaves surrounding the bigger ones.


Then I moved on to coloring the flowers.  On the back ones - there are 2 separate ones, I used #0800 Violet and #0760 Deep Violet with the #0900 Iris blue lightly colored on the tips.  I actually didn't color anything to the point where it was solid color...I applied it quite lightly and added more if needed after it was dry. On the foremost flower I used the 2 shades of blue with just a light layer of #0800 Violet on the tips.  The little berries were colored with #0800 Violet.  When the blues and purples were dry, I used the #0230 Golden Yellow to the centers.  When the centers were dry I added Wink of Stella for a bit of shimmer.



When everything was dry I fussy cut the image.  I laid the image on my top folding card base and the sentiment stamp and determined where I wanted to put the decorative edge die and ran it through my die cutting machine.  I then adhered the striped paper along the bottom of the inside of the card and I used a straight decorative edge for the top of that.

Next, after I placed my card in the MISTI, I laid the flower spray onto the card and then placed my stamp where I wanted it.  Personally, I don't know how I ever made cards without a stamp positioning tool!  They are so wonderful! The sentiment was stamped with the Versafine Onyx Black ink.  Once that was dry, I adhered the flower image to the card with foam tape.  Then added the NUVO Jewel Drops and my piece was done!


I hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial.  I love this color combination so much!  My striped paper at the bottom is a piece from Carta Bella "Flora" and is actually dark green.  I thought it set the flowers off quite well.

So, just to let you in on a little secret:  soon I'll be having another giveaway...and it will be a stamp postioning tool!  So, be on the lookout!

Happy paper crafting and remember...it's just paper!

Betsy







No comments:

Post a Comment